Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Griefers


I went home yesterday with a warm fuzzy feeling after writing my progress blog.

And I went home, well to do my usual house stuff, then to settle down and run some mining for 2-3 hours, and head for bed, well knowing I was on the right track.

The Eve-Online did what Eve-Online does best:
Kick you in the face, spit on you, talk a bit of trash, and kick you in the groin, before starting to laugh about your struggles. Lovely.
Within the MMO universe this behaviour is referred to as griefing. In the real world it's referred to as sociopathic behaviour.

In most games you can just reload and the individual is gone and you don't really need to deal with the person, or you can report them for harassment.

In the real world and in Eve, that's not really an option. The world doesn't really revolve around you, no matter what you are told. So basically you are being bullied, but what can you do about it.
Well you can stand and fight or you can walk away.

Personally I walk away. Fighting is too resource demanding and brings me no joy. I might retain my place, but that hold no value to me. Compared to the resources needed to throw a fight. (Plus these folks tend to thrive on the fight and beating them up with give them pleasure).

It throws a dent in my plans for the 1 million cubic meters for this week, but I have friends, and friends help out when the need is great enough + you've done your own part first.

But back to sociopaths:
Most people hate Eve-online because they are present in fair shares. In fact they aren't blocked from doing their stuff. And personally I'd hate to see something done actively.
As in the real world, going to a bar you might run into what i call an idiot. Someone basically there to pick a fight. Should someone remove this person from existence, just because he's a jerk?
No. Course, who'd be next, and who's to judge the subtle lines?

What I in these situations where I'm being griefed and start to resettle/move on, I wonder why...
Why does anyone have a basic urge to inflict struggle upon someone else, to course suffering in some form.
To my minds eye there's the kid with the anthill and a spyglass. Burn, burn, burn, but why the need to make the ants burn. As usual I start imagine the ants gathering in great formation and teaching the boy a lesson of violence . It never happens because the ants just move to another spot.
There's very few corners in a world after all.

I'd love to see a few comment on this. Everybody has experience with griefing either via a game or in fact in the real world., Childhood tend to be a rich source for it. Please share.

No comments:

Post a Comment