Sunday, June 1, 2014

Welcome to the Dark side

Yep, I finally succumbed to Star Wars, The old republic.

I've been playing for some 14 days now and my hand is just about ruined. Those who know my gaming life would know that 14 days is about the time I can play any wasd game, before my hand slowly turns into rubble. Something about the nerves, and the way I'm using my fingers, there's no real work around, there's aidtools and bandages, but no fix. I simply will never play a piano for that long.

Now Star Wars, TOR (as it's called)... But why? You hate warcraft style games.... Yep, that's correct.
i passionately hate WC and loads of other games of that type, but I love the SW stories, the Jedi concept the world in where it takes place. Sure it's a bit small, and the stories aren't quite alligned with the movies and other stuff in the universe. And then again it is.

Recently I've picked up on Clone wars, and I'm slowly grinding it to an end with the 6th. sesseaon. And my love for that world has only been rekindled.

I did notice it's launch by EA, and first thing was intrest, and much to my satisfation the game ended on the market exactly as i predicted. Another WC clone with the attached scamming and stuff attached needing to get that Secure key and join the wars against Steam (game only available via Origin). The same problem I had with Star Craft 2. In the mean while the game has been handed back to Bioware and turned into F2P /P2W in a way that the game is playable, but alot of things have been barred when you're not a subscriber or paying for the game.
That's quite fine really, considering how many games that are currently subscribtion only, monthly payments here or your game will forfeit.. SW has taken the approach of, play the game for free, play it more and better for cash. And I like that. It doesn't put holes in my wallet, I can store the game for quite a while without playing come back and pick up without loss. It's low budget = less focus on pretties, more on player content.
This is a game where PvP is meaningless. If you lose -> P2W.
The game have decent PvE, it's there you can get more by paying, but the baseline is there.
Which leaves RP'ing to be the main attractor.

As it's mainly RP, most griefers don't stick around as there's no point. Intelligence/maturity is a bit higher and it's freaking Star Wars MMO.

I've played KOTOR a few times, and would do so many times more (at some point I'll get KOTOR2), and I never get tired of that story and playstile. Here's it's open ended. It's Roleplaying. The game mechanics kinda blows down quickly and it not something to praise (you can even pay to unlock GUI features like multiple taskbars).

This is my temptation, and I won't resist. Stay tuned for more, and I migth be getting this to youtube, if bandicam approves.

No comments:

Post a Comment